Thursday, May 28, 2009

Why I want to help Gaza's Children - M.T.Khan

As-salamu-alaikum - Peace be Upon You

I reflect back to a month and a half ago - when I first heard about this Kilimanjaro Expedition to raise awareness and charity for children affected by war in Gaza, Palestine - and I think about what compelled me to ensure that I would be part of this noble international cause. At that time, I didn't care that I was no were near physically fit enough to embark on such a grueling expedition, nor did I think how I was going to raise the minimum fund-raising amount; all I knew was that before me lay an opportunity to make a difference in the lives of innocent children - kids that have been ravaged by the devastating effects of the Israeli war in Gaza. It was clear to me that I had to grab this opportunity with both hands. I sit here now wondering where all this passion to assist our children in Gaza had come from and it dawns on me that the answer I am looking for is actually closer to me than I think.

You know, our religion is so beautiful in that it teaches us from a young age to be compassionate and generous to those less fortunate than ourselves. I think of how my parents, my mother especially, had a big influence in inculcating these values into my sisters, brother and I. But the major influence that has recently ignited my passion and determination to help our children in Gaza is my father Fazleh Ahmed Khan. He is one of those lucky, privileged and heroic doctors who formed part of the medical team with Gift of the Givers that traveled to Gaza in early January 2009 - during what we all know was the height of the Israeli aggression against the people of Gaza. I remember standing at O R international airport in JHB watching that noble team of doctors leave for Palestine and I kept thinking to myself how much in awe and amazement I was, and how much of pride I had in my father for doing what he was doing. He was sacrificing so much! – he was sacrificing his time away from his family and time away from his practice. More importantly, he could have been sacrificing his life knowing that there were so many inherent dangers with going to Gaza at that time of the war - but he did this all because he wanted to make a difference in the lives of those suffering. Standing there, it struck me - I actually felt guilty knowing that I had so much to be grateful to Allah (S.W.A) for - for what He's given me and allowed me to achieve in my life and the fact that our lives were so much less challenging than any of the Palestinians.

I also began thinking how much younger I was than my father, and how much much more I should be doing in my youth for others. It was then and there that I made a promise to myself that insha'Allah when an opportunity to help my brothers and sisters in Palestine arises again I would make sure I seize it. And you know, Subhanallah, we underestimate the power of our own Duaas and intentions - it was not long after that I was on the internet and I just happened to stumble across this Kilimanjaro expedition organized by Muslim Hands. Needless to say, when I saw it I got so excited that I immediately informed my brother (Muhammad Ridwaan Khan) and friend Nadim Mahomed about it. They inturn were extremely eager to take up this challenge and noble cause.

Alhamdullilah, my initial excitement and determination has started to pay of and things are now falling into place. Here I am today with fiitness levels rapidly increasing (due to intense daily training!) and charity donations starting to come through generously - with help from the other expedition members and family ofcourse.

I remember a saying that goes like this: "If you don't stand for something in the world, then you stand for nothing in life". I would like to believe that in setting myself such a tremendous challenge in such a short time, and taking a stand to help our children in Gaza, that I wouldn't ever look back on my life and think that I didn't make a difference in this world.

Was-salam,
Muhammad Taher Khan
"To the Children & Future of Palestine"

No comments:

Post a Comment